Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Blackcap

Female Blackcap, Harston, 7th February 2012 © Roger Isted
'I have a BTO approved project to colour ring winter Blackcap in my garden to determine amongst other things how long specific birds stay in a particular area. This season I colour ringed 4 in December, none of which I have seen again, and 2 so far in February. In the very mild intervening period I only recorded 1 unringed bird in January. Doubtless the current influx of birds is as a result of the very cold weather coming from Siberia and I am aware that many people in S Cambs are recording them in their gardens at the moment.
To expect one external record of these birds is ambitious to say the least but I would like to raise awareness to at least shorten the odds.
Please report colour ringed birds to the BTO.' RI

No comments: